To the Candidate
|When:||Monday, August 19, 2019 through and including Thursday, August 22, 2019|
|Times:||8:30 am until 12:00 noon AND 1:00 pm until 4:30 pm each day|
|Where:||Office of the City Clerk in City Hall located at 6695 Church Street|
| Qualifying fee:
$ 387.00 Councilmember
The offices to be elected:
2) Council Member, Ward 2 Post 2
3) Council Member, Ward 4
4) Council Member, Ward 5
The Notice of Candidacy and Affidavit is due at the time of qualifying along with the qualifying fee.
Thank you for your interest in Douglasville city government. The City of Douglasville is governed by a mayor and seven (7) Council members. The mayor shall be elected at large by the electors of the city. Councilmembers shall be elected from five districts by the electors of their respective districts. One councilmember shall be elected from each of Districts 1, 4, and 5; and two councilmembers shall be elected from each of Districts 2 and 3.
The members of the city council shall serve for terms of four years and until their respective successors are elected and qualified. No person shall be eligible to serve as mayor or councilmember unless that person shall be at least 21 years of age and shall have been a resident of the city for 12 months prior to the date of the election of mayor or members of the city council; each shall continue to reside therein during that person's period of service and to be registered and qualified to vote in municipal elections of this city. Candidates seeking election as councilmember from a district must reside within such district from which they seek election as of the date upon which they qualify to run for office, or, if a write-in candidate, upon the date on which they give notice of their intention of candidacy as required by O.C.G.A. 21-2-133, as now enacted or hereafter amended.
The Mayor and City Council determine policies, enact legislation and provide political leadership in the community. Most regular meetings are held on the first Monday of each month at 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of the Douglasville Conference Center. Most legislative work sessions are held on the Thursday before the Monday regular meeting starting at 6:00 p.m. Committees meetings are often held at 5:00 p.m.
Please review the materials for qualifying to run for office in the November 5, 2019 General Election.
Items to complete and return to the City Clerk DURING the qualifying periods:
- Notice of Candidacy and Affidavit
- Payment of Qualifying fee (cash or check)
Here are some other links for your information.
- City of Douglasville Code of Ethics Ordinance
- Sign Ordinance Rules Re Political Season & City of Douglasville Sign Ordinance
- A map of the City of Douglasville to help you determine the city limit boundaries
- GMA Brochures: (1) Running for Municipal Elected Office and (2) Training program Q & A (i.e. Newly Elected Officials Institute)
- Ethics Reporting: How to Become a Candidate with Campaign Finance Reporting Requirements
- Ethics Forms (Form DOI, Personal Financial Disclosure, Affidavit of a Candidate’s Intent Not to Exceed $2,500, Campaign Contribution Disclosure Reports, and Form RC)
SOME PRELIMINARY INFORMATION FOR YOU:
Ethics Filing Information:
Please contact the Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission (GGTCFC) for information on all the rules and regulations, filing requirements, and other candidate information. GGTCFC website Telephone number is 404-463-1980. Address: GGTCFC, 200 Piedmont Avenue, Suite 1402, West Tower, Atlanta GA 30334. All of the forms are available from the
- Registration Form for a Campaign Committee for a Candidate (Form RC) if you form a campaign committee.
- Declaration of Intent to Accept Campaign Contributions (Form DOI) for anyone who accepts contributions - must file (file with City Clerk)
- Personal Financial Disclosure Statement (election year – TO BE FILED WITHIN 15 DAYS FROM THE DAY YOU QUALIFY) (file with City Clerk)
“The Campaign Finance ACT as it applies to Candidates & Public Officials” brochure is available here.
Review the Ethics Act publication.
City of Douglasville Sign Ordinance Information:
Important information about Douglasville's sign ordinance rules regarding political season for candidates. Here is Douglasville's complete sign ordinance if you'd like to read it.
Newly Elected Official State Mandated Training:
After the election, if you are a newly elected official and not a returning official, you MUST take state-mandated training through the Georgia Municipal Association. Here is some information from GMA about the Newly Elected Officials Institute training sessions.